Friday, June 15, 2012

Framed! A transformation

When I ran across these little swinging vintage frames this week at Goodwill, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them.   I've been wanting to start a paint project on a small scale and work my way up to painting some furniture.  I paid $1.99 each for these little beauties.


These are vintage swinging frames.  One had glass for a picture and the other has a small oval mirror.  They were in excellent condition, but not very attractive because of their finish.  The photo frame one was an odd brown/green paint and the mirror was brown and gold.

Since I'm doing this on a budget, there was no way I was going to go out and buy paint so I started foraging in my closet under the stairway where I keep leftover paint from house / room painting.  Great!  A can of white semi-gloss exterior paint with about a quart left in the gallon can.  I shook it around a bit and took the lid off.  The can was a little rusty, but the paint inside was fine. 

After I disassembled both frames, I just started painting.  I wasn't very prepared, only having a small artist paintbrush.  It took a little more time with the small brush, but after 3 coats of paint - drying between coats - I was ready to distress for a shabby chic look.  After putting the frame back into it's "swing" and putting the screws back in, I was very pleased with the new look.  I scrambled around finding a 5 x 7 photo to put behind the glass.  I found a precious one of my granddaughter when she was four years old wearing her Easter dress.  After playing around with some vignette ideas, here's some photos of the transformation:  You can hold down the Control button and hit the + button, or you can click on each picture to make the photos larger.








Now, do I dare to tackle the nightstand in our bedroom - or better yet, my small kitchen entryway chest that my granddaughter is standing in front of in the photo?  I've been wanting to tackle that one for some time now - it's big, ugly and brown, but it's the only thing I've found that will fit in that little nook.  Hmm - not sure I'm ready for that big of a project...but what can it do but approve the appearance.  I suppose I have nothing to lose.

White just looks so bright and cheery - not dull and drab like the browns of the "before" photos.
What do you think?



Linking to Metamorphosis MondayThe Thrifty Groove's TFF, Vintage Thingy Thursday, Knick of TimeThursday Favorite Things, Sunday's Flea Market Finds, Treasure Hunt ThursdayVintage Inspiration Friday. Nifty Thrifty Sunday.

10 comments:

  1. i love it! instant modern on your swinging frames :) i agree, white paint is uplifting :) great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sugar-Socks! It does modernize them, but it sure please the eye a little more than the dingy colors they were wearing.

      Delete
  2. I love swinging frames. I have one and perhaps it's time for an update like yours. I love the white!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too - but I had never thought about painting them before. I once thought you had to leave antiques or vintage items original to keep from compromising their beauty, but the older I get, I'm all for making them into whatever you want them to be. They're here for our enjoyment and if painting them makes you enjoy them more, go for it!

      Delete
  3. (paraphrasing 'Jaws')You're gonna need a bigger brush. LOL
    The frames turned out lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spymay, you've made me laugh! I'll definitely have to find a bigger brush, lol.

      Delete
  4. Great finds, Glenda! I saw a couple of those frames at an antique mart recently and they wanted a lot more than you paid! They look wonderful white. If you want to move onto furniture, I'd start with the smallest of the two pieces you've mentioned. I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome finds ~ love your final creations ~ Wow! ~ ~ thanks, (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must be the guy who buys at your selling price and after a few years takes it to the Goodwill store and gives it to them for nothing! (when you live on a boat, when something comes on, something must go off).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stafford, I have to confess that I've taken quite a few things to Goodwill too. Things that on a whim, I wanted to get rid of in a hurry. It's wonderful to re-cycle. There's definitely something to the old addage "One man's junk is another man's treasure".

      Delete

I love to hear your comments!