Tuesday, June 5, 2012

To Dine on a Dime

Years ago if someone had told me I would be obsessed with dishes, I would have thought they were crazy.  As long as we had one set of everyday plates and a halfway decent set of plates to set a table for guests, I was totally happy.  Keep it simple, right?  Well, not anymore.  This didn't happen gradually - it sort of snuck up on me.  Yes, I know snuck is not a word, but it's what we Southerners say instead of sneaked.   We have our own language down here, ya' know.

Now when I go to garage sales,  I zero in on sets of dishes.  A couple of weeks ago I found a beautiful service for eight called Napa Style by Michael Chiarello.  When I hear the word Napa, I automatically think...Italy - grapes - wine - romantic - castles, don't you?  And the best thing about this set of dishes was the price -  $10 for all 32 pieces.  Now I'm a very amateur tablescaper...  and I need lessons in photography,  but I do like to show people that you can set a pretty table on a very low budget.


I love the pottery feel of it - and I think the raised design must be grape vines.
This is some vintage Community silverplate flatware that I've had stored in plastic bags - a flea market find.



 The yellow placemats are actually large napkins.  The little flowers are a Michael's $1 clearance purchase a few months ago that I knew I would find a use for one day.  I posted about the yellow napkins and the white napkins here.  I think you'll agree it was a great price.
 The goblets with gold and white are some I found at the flea market back in January for $6 for 6 goblets.  I used them in another table setting here.   The wine / champagne stems are vintage.
 That old terra cotta flower pot looks like it has the perfectly aged, mossy patina, doesn't it?  That's because it does.  Came straight out of my flower garden today to do a stand-in for fresh cut flowers.  I think it looks "old Italy", don't you?  The Gerber Daisy's have just the touch of color I was looking for.  Yellow, with a splash of red for a little pop of color.  The plate below that they're sitting on is red Fiesta.



 My knock-out roses are brightening up the buffet where we'll serve dessert and coffee with the mugs that are part of the Napa Style dinnerware.  And some chocolates are teasing me from the little clear candy dish.

I took the shot below with the chairs framing the centerpiece. The black and gold candle sticks have the look of columns from an old Italian castle.


 This butter dish is the Metlox Poppy Trail pattern but looks like it belongs to the dinnerware.  It stands ready to butter up some crusty loaves straight from an Italian kitchen oven.
 Even the print I have hanging over my linen chest is of an Italian Villa.
 The last photo is a mirrored image taken of my old oak china cabinet. 
Hope you enjoyed how you can Dine on a Dime (or at least dine on a ten dollar bill).  Such a small amount of money went into the table setting, but I don't think anyone would complain if served a meaty Italian dinner on it, do you?  Like maybe Veal Scaloppini with Saffron Cream Sauce  - with a nice, crusty Italian loaf.  Now, that's making me hungry.





9 comments:

  1. Glenda, that table setting looks absolutely divine! Really. I can't believe how little you paid for all those lovely plates etc. The glassware is wonderful. I love the photo framed with the chair - you're getting very artistic my friend. Hee Hee! I love the old terracotta pot on the table as well. I just love Italy, so the whole ambience (including the painting) certainly does it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Glenda,
    Oh, what a gorgeous, amazingly wonderful tablescape☆☆☆ The wonderful table settings like this is one of the wonderful findings through blogging. And I cannot enjoy with my culture(^^;)
    Yes, you did this very artistically, my friend♡♡♡ I love all the item you purchased with really low price. Especially the glasses are wonderful with flowers and gold lines. I need the pretty glasses like these!!! Of corse, the whole tablescape with the dished and placements and all. I enjoyed the romantic ambiance (haha, thanks for Diane) of your setting with enlarged poictures

    Thank you very much for the lovely time. Love you always, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your table looks great! I love using my thrifted finds for parties and special occasions. I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that table looks wonderful! i love how it all blends so well together :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Talk about being lucky! I would love to find dishes like that at a garage sale. You've made very good use of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this table setting. What a great deal on those dishes! Gorgeous and so versatile! So happy to visit your blog! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful bargain find in those dishes! They are so pretty and will "mix and match" with other patterns nicely! Thank you for sharing with us at TTF this week! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Glenda! I am back to let you know that I will be featuring this post on this week's TTF party!I hope you join us again and also grab your "I was featured" button for your blog! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Diann! I'm excited about being featured in TTF!

      Delete

I love to hear your comments!